The big game is around the corner and everyone is probably thinking about what they’re going to do to celebrate it. Many of us are going to be gathering together in the living rooms of whoever has a big screen television and watching the game while snacking on traditional Super Bowl foods. But for those of us who have just gotten back in the swing of being healthy after the holidays ruined it for us, the idea of eating Super Bowl food isn’t too appealing.
Here are five things that you can do to make Super Bowl snacking a little bit healthier:
1. Drink water. The number one thing that people are drinking on Super Bowl Sunday is beer. Another drink that’s going to be going around is soda pop. These two drinks can kill your diet quicker than anything. Avoid them or go for them in moderation and then drink water the rest of the day. Drinking that water will also help fill your belly and make you snack less.
2. Use oil and vinegar on sub sandwiches instead of mayonnaise and other dressings. Those six-foot-long party subs don’t have to be unhealthy but most of us make choices that make them bad for us. Think smart when placing your order so you don’t automatically add calories to a food that doesn’t have to be bad.
3. Spend a lot of time at the veggie tray. You can greatly increase the healthiness of your Super Bowl Sunday by making sure that your snacking is done on the veggies like carrots and celery. Avoid the potato chips at all costs and make sure to use a low-fat dressing for dips.
4. Buy healthy chips. You’re going to have chips because it’s Super Bowl. If you think that you’re going to be tempted to eat them, you should make sure that they aren’t so bad for you. Get the ones that are baked. Or get chip alternatives like Pita Chips. Better yet, make your own chips using fresh tortillas and organic oils and seasonings.
5. Think vegetarian. Much of what we eat during the Super Bowl is filled with red meat. Hamburgers, hot dogs, ground beef nachos and chili are all fattening in part because of the red meat. Consider going vegetarian with alternative meat-products and veggie chili. If that’s too much for you to handle, think about substituting lean chicken for the red meat.
The main thing that you need to do when planning for Super Bowl is to keep your normal healthy dietary considerations in mind. Many people are just so in the habit of eating unhealthy during Super Bowl weekends that they eat things they normally wouldn’t. Applying basic diet rules to eating during this day should make it possible to stay healthy.
Here are some places where you can find Super Bowl recipes that are designed to be particularly healthy:
http://hubpages.com/hub/5-Tips-for-Having-a-Healthier-Super-Bowl-Party By Kathryn Vercillo
No, you’re not tripping balls — Katy Perry really went full beach in this crazy segment from her 2015 Super Bowl performance. Things got cooler when Missy showed up.
Related Super Bowl California Articles