Check out these Super Bowl 51 images:
California: San Francisco International Airport – Bay Area sports Hall of Fame – Lynn Swann
Image by wallyg
A graduate of Serra High School in San Mateo, Lynn starred as a wide receiver at the University of Southern California, where he was selected an All-American in 1973. He played his entire professional career of nine seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Lynn appeared in the Pro Bowl three times. He was voted MVP in Super Bowl X, with 161 yards gained and the game-winning touchdown. During his career, he had 336 receptions, 5462 yards and 51 touchdowns. he was elected to the College Hall of Fame in 1993 and Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2001. He was inducted into the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame in 2002, and his plaque can be found at SFO Gate 82.
The Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame, started in 1979 by the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce’s Sports Committee and former president of the San Francisco 49ers, Lou Spadia, honors the Bay Area’s athletic legends. The first Enshrinement Banquet was held in 1980 and honored Bay Area sports legends Joe DiMaggio, Willie Mays, Hank Luisetti, Ernie Nevers and Bill Russell. Each enshrinee receives a bronze plaque of their likeness which is displayed at the banquet and featured in the United Airlines terminal at SFO International Airport before being moved to a permanent location near the stadium, university, golf club, or school they were involved with in the Bay Area.
San Francisco International Airport (IATA: SFO, ICAO: KSFO, FAA LID: SFO), located 13 miles south of downtown San Francisco in unincorporated San Mateo County, offers non-stop links with more than 30 international points on 25 international carriers. The Bay Area’s largest airport connects non-stop with more than 65 cities in the U.S. on 20 domestic airlines. The airport originally opened on May 7, 1927 as Mills field Municipal Aiport and was renamed San Francisco Municipal Airport in 1931, witht he Municipal replaced by International in 1955.
SFO was voted “North America’s Best Airport” in 2008 by passengers for its outstanding customer service and amenities.
In 2007, the San Francisco International Airport was ranked #121 on the AIA 150 America’s Favorite Architecture list.
Pontiac Silverdome, Pontiac, Michigan
Image by Ken Lund
The Pontiac Silverdome, formerly known as the Silverdome, was a stadium located in Pontiac, Michigan, United States. It opened in 1975 and sits on 127 acres (51 ha) of land. When the stadium opened, it featured a fiberglass fabric roof held up by air pressure, the first use of the technique in a major athletic facility. The roof has since been removed. With a seating capacity of 82,000, it was the largest stadium in the National Football League (NFL) until FedEx Field in suburban Washington, D.C., opened in 1997.
It was primarily the home of the Detroit Lions of the NFL from 1975 to 2001 and was also home to the Detroit Pistons of the National Basketball Association (NBA) from 1978 to 1988. In addition, the Silverdome also served as the home venue for the Detroit Express of the North American Soccer League and the Michigan Panthers of the United States Football League, as well as two college bowl games: the Cherry Bowl and the Motor City Bowl. In 2012 the Silverdome served as the home venue of the Detroit Mechanix of the American Ultimate Disc League and hosted the league championship game that season.
The stadium was a regular concert venue and hosted a number of athletic and non-athletic events, including Wrestlemania III, early round games of the 1994 FIFA World Cup, Super Bowl XVI, regional games in the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament, and the 1979 NBA All-Star Game.
After the opening of Ford Field in 2002, the stadium was left without a permanent tenant. It first closed in 2006, but after multiple attempts to solicit redevelopment plans, the city sold the stadium at auction in 2009. It reopened in 2010 and hosted several events, but closed again by 2013. The roof was deflated in 2013 and has since been removed. Owners auctioned the stadium’s contents in 2014 with no future development through June 2015. The owners announced on October 29, 2015, that the dilapidated facility will be demolished beginning in the Spring of 2016.